What is the ECO4 Scheme?
The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a UK government energy efficiency scheme aimed at reducing carbon emissions and tackling fuel poverty. ECO4 is the latest iteration of this program. It encourages energy suppliers to install energy-efficient measures in low-income and vulnerable households, such as insulation and heating improvements. ECO4 continues the effort to make homes more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly.
Who is eligible for the ECO4 grant?
To qualify for ECO4, households must meet specific eligibility criteria, including:
Gross Household Income: The household's gross income should be below £31,000, or it can meet a combination of two low-income proxies, which include:
- Residing in the top 30% most deprived areas.
- Being in receipt of Council Tax Reduction (excluding single-person discount).
- Meeting the definition outlined in the NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) guidance.
- Eligibility for free school meals due to low income.
Property Eligibility for ECO4
ECO4 targets properties with lower energy efficiency ratings, and eligibility is determined by the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating; with A being the most efficient and G being the least. The following property types are eligible:
- Owner-Occupied Homes: Properties with an EPC rating of D or below are eligible for ECO4 improvements.
- Private Rented Homes: Private rented properties with an EPC rating of E or below are eligible.
- Social Housing: Social housing properties with an EPC rating of E or below are eligible for standard measures, while those with an EPC rating of D or below are eligible for innovation measures.
- Improvement Targets: Homes with an EPC rating of F or G must reach a minimum rating of D after the works, and homes with an EPC rating of D or E must reach a minimum rating of C after the improvements.
- Calculation Method: The energy performance of eligible properties must be assessed using the Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure (RdSAP), but the EPC doesn't need to be lodged.
What Does ECO4 Mean for Solar Panel Owners?
• Reduced Energy Bills
Solar panel owners can further reduce their energy bills when their homes become more energy-efficient through ECO4 improvements. Any surplus energy generated by your solar panels can be fed back into the grid, potentially earning you credits or reducing your future energy costs even more.
• Further Improve Energy Efficiency
ECO4 encourages energy efficiency improvements in homes. This means that if you already have solar panels installed, making your home more energy-efficient through ECO4 upgrades can enhance the overall effectiveness of your solar system. With reduced energy wastage, you can maximise the benefits of your solar panels, potentially saving more on energy bills.
• Increase Home Value
Energy-efficient upgrades funded by ECO4 can increase the resale value of your home. Potential buyers often value energy-efficient features, including solar panels, which can make your property more attractive on the market.
In summary, ECO4 can mean increased efficiency, reduced energy bills, a more significant environmental impact, and potentially higher property value for solar panel owners. It complements your efforts to harness clean and renewable energy from the sun while making your home more energy-efficient.
If you are a registered ECO4 installer and would like further information on how to purchase the required items, then please follow this link to our dedicated page: Systems Needed for ECO4 Grant
Homeowners Seeking an Installer
If you are a home owner or landlord and would like to speak to an installer please click here: Find an ECO4 Installer
How to Apply for ECO4 Grant
1. Check for Eligibility
The first step in the process of unlocking ECO4 funding for your home is to check whether or not you are eligible. Learn more about the conditions that qualify for ECO4 funding: ECO4 Eligibility Checker
2. Free Home Survey
If you're home is eligible, then a free, non-intrusive survey will be arranged, where a qualified and certified surveyor will carry out a 10-15 minute inspection of your home's energy efficiency measures.
3. Installation Works
Once the measures that can be implemented are identified, it will then be arranged for these works to be carried out. These are usually, on average, completed in less than 3 days.
Required Systems for ECO4 Grant
Secure your electrical components with the Wiska WDB 1 Insulated ABS Plastic Enclosure in Grey (IP65). This durable and easily installed solution offers reliable protection with its robust construction and security features. Trust in its strength for your electrical enclosure needs.
Unlock 45% installation cost grants with our ECO4-compliant Solar Panel. Maximise energy output, reduce inefficiencies, and choose sustainability for your home or business. Generate more clean energy and reduce environmental impact while saving money.
Tigo's Cloud Connect Advanced (CCA) seamlessly aggregates data from Tigo's O, S, and M products, extending beyond solar panels to include inverters, batteries, and building meters. Create a comprehensive energy monitoring network with CCA at the core.
More ECO4 Questions...
How much of an impact has ECO4 had so far?
As of January 2024, the Great British Insulation Scheme (ECO4) has funded 1,250 cavity wall insulation installations, 15,867 gas boiler replacements and 11,584 loft insulation installations.